Tuesday, September 18, 2007

2 weeks today!

Today our baby Gemma is 2 weeks old and thriving. :)

Breastfeeding has finally become much easier for me - it doesn't hurt anymore. Yahoo!!!! Plus Gemma makes these great "I'm satisfied" sounds afterwards that are just too precious and just melt my heart. Here's a great inspirational picture that is displayed at my favorite lactation consultant's office, Gail Fiock @ PAMF Fremont:So news - Gemma's umbilical cord stump finally came off! She still has a little bit of a scab so we are holding off on a full-fledged bath. But we did manage, with the incredible help of Rocio, to give her a sponge bath this weekend. Scott was a super star - he's the one who did all the bathing while I nervously watched and stayed close to him. Gemma did pretty well - she protested some but wasn't outraged, ya know? Also, she seemed to really like getting that big head of hair washed. hahahaha She relaxed once Scott washed her hair, just like when the nurses washed it while in the hospital. Sorry no pictures - I intended to take some but then was soooo distracted and nervous that I forgot. Once we do the official official bath, I'll hope to remember to take some photos. :)
Today was also her 2-week wellness checkup with our pediatrician. It was a great reassurance that Gemma is growing steadily:
* weight = 7lbs 11 oz (her birth weight was 7lbs 3oz) - 25 percentile
* height = 20.75" (her birth height was 18") - 75 percentile
* head circumference = 13.58" - 50 percentile
* temp = 99.1 degrees f (anything below 100 is normal)

All-in-all, we've been doing well. I really appreciate Scott working part-time. It is a wonderful relief to have him come home and give me a break every afternoon. I take my shower, nap, read and/or just get a break. He's soooo awesome with Gemma - he's such a caring and gentle daddy. :)

Plus he's been just amazing about cooking dinner every night. He signed us for for this food service, called Super Suppers, where they prepare the dinner and you cook it. Not only is it yummy, nutritional and gives us a variety of food, it is also much more economical for us! We highly recommend it!

Here we are taking turns being exhausted... um, I mean, taking care of Gemma. :)

1 comment:

Tom and Debbie said...

HEY GEMMA!

You are soooo cute! I love your hair. Great idea on starting your own blog.

Say "hi" to Scott, Rose and Blitz for me.

Soon you will have a friend named Ryan. He will join us around Nov 5.

Tom Setzer

ps don't let daddy cover your chair in aluminum foil!