Saturday, September 1, 2007

Moms Week

This past week was my first week away from work. :) To help with the transition, I made 'mom' dates with as many of my local moms/moms-to-be to help me through not thinking about CrystalD. And it worked! The week went by soooo incredibly fast and I had to 'deal' with work only once. :)

It was great to spend some quality 1-on-1 time with each of the women. I learned more about them and about being a mom. It was a great week, here's a summary:

Monday: Rocio and Silvia came by the condo with lunch. Yummy! We celebrated my first day of not being at work. She showed me how she sets up Siliva's play space and how she's incorporated a simple light-weight scarf as a toy that the baby just loves. It was also fun to learn about Silivia's eating habits too. It felt good to relax at home! :) Oh gosh, and thanks so much for another batch of hand-me-downs - you are so awesome!Tuesday: Susanne and I (she's pregnant too with the EXACT same due date as me!) had an absolutely wonderful pampering day up in the city at my new favorite spa - SENSPA. :) We had facials and massages with a nice break in between to savor the environment and eat their yummy treats. We definitely took our time and laughed a lot and shared all sorts of thoughts and ideas of becoming a mom and going through labor.And then after our blissful time at the spa, we walked across the street to Lucas Arts and enjoyed their wonderful public park and had a picnic. Oh, and the weather was just perfect for the city - not too hot and hot too cold. :) Afterwards we headed to FLAX (Magda told me about this store and that I had to check it out) and shopped for decorating ideas for our baby girls. YES, we are both having girls too. Sus's baby will be named Miriam ('Mir' for short) Folmann.

Wednesday: I meet with Jen F. post lunch to check out Savers in Redwood City and purchase some labor clothes. She helped me figure out what might work out better and Amelia, her daughter, had fun playing with all the toys! Afterwards she took me to experience Gymboree - wow, that was cool. :) They have a wonderful set-up for play time and tons of age specific mom/baby classes. I especially like the idea of the music classes for me and Gemma. :)Thursday: This was a triple-header day (and it just so happens I forgot to take any pictures). For lunch I met with Jen G at Stacks. We spoke about all sorts of things including going back to work eventually. Having just had our doctor's appointment where I was told I lost weight, I really devoured my food. And if you know Stacks, they give you quite a bit of yummy food and I finished it ALL - a first for me. :) Afterwards, we explored Planet Kids together - I didn't know that place even existed. :)

Later that day I met with Nerissa who let me borrow her glider chair and other helpful baby clothes and things. She's been another friend who has been incredibly generous with lending me all sorts of hand-me-downs...Thank you so much! That day Ner showed me what positions worked best for her for breastfeeding and gave me lots of ideas. :)

I finished off the night having dinner at University Cafe with Scott and Jason & Rena who are expecting twins in January. Their working names are Luke and Leia! hahahaha. It was fun for sure - but by this time I was super tired - so tired I felt drunk. It was funny. We had a lovely dinner and Scotty drove me home. Ahhh.

Friday: After being busy all week, Friday was going to be my chill day. Rocio invited me over to her place where she made me lunch (yummy!) and we watched her birthing video. I was finally able to start looking at visuals and it was really great to be able to see it and ask all sorts of questions and mentally prepare. Wow, it is going to be a wonderfully intense experience, giving birth to our Gemma.
I ended off the night with a hair cut with Wayne at Salon 661. He's just fabulous and I love how creative and talented he is. He'll also hilarious. Scott and I both received hair cuts from him this week in preparation for Gemma's arrival. :)

Thank you to all the woman I spent time with either in person or on the phone (Magda, Maria, mi mama, Marisa, Mirari....). It really helped make the week go by and was just what I needed to make the transition out of the Crystal Dynamics mentality. I appreciate you all and look forward to meeting up again when Gemma arrives. :)

No comments: