Sunday, August 12, 2007

Mother Blessing - Week 35

I wanted to do a different sort of baby shower with my good girlfriends. I wanted something that focused more on the mother and preparing her for motherhood. So 6 of my friends, all of them mothers, and I got together to do my version of a Mother Blessing.

Vic Chung, awesome friend and honorary Grandpa (aka Gumpa), let us hold the event at his house. This is the same house were I lived my last part of my single life, where Scott and I shared our first sweet kiss and where we were married 2 years ago. It felt fitting that we would hold this event there too. Thank you , Vic!!!We didn't take pictures of the event - I was so into it - but here are some pictures of us preparing for it (that's Ali - Vic's cat):

The main event:

It turned out wonderfully and it really felt like a community event supporting me into this next phase of life I'm about to embark. Thank you so much, Magda, for organizing it for me!!!! :)

We created birth art, facilitated by Rocio, and shared birth stories. It was super intimate and emotional. I loved hearing everyone's varied stories and I really appreciated everyone's enthusiasm and heart-felt honesty. THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Me? I drew an image of a strong woman squatting with arms wide open, open in nature surrounded by deeply rooted trees as her support, milk flowing from her. I was surprised at how emotional drawing this open image made me... but at the same time it made me feel strong & confident... I have hopes for the birth but I'm going in with _no_ expectations. :)

Next we did the birth bracelet/blessing part, facilitated by Nerissa. Everyone brought with them a bead to contribute to a bracelet for me and Nerissa shaped it together. The idea is for me to wear the bracelet during labor and delivery and use the inspiration they've given me to get through the hard work of labor. I'd look and touch it and think of the stories of perseverance, strength, letting go, and opening up! Every bead tells a story, a wish, a blessing.

For example, one of the beads, the letter 'B', came with a song/poem, written by Rocio that very morning:
It was beautiful, funny, touching, original, bilingual...just mind blowing and emotional. Mil Gracias, Rocio!

Nerissa also recited a poem with her blessing:

Mothers & Daughters

Holding my newborn daughter
I feel time slip from me
I am my grandmother holding my mother,
my mother holding me
Many generations converge
in her small face
Mothers & daughters
lost to each other...

Once more in her embrace

-- author unknown

All of the beads and the blessings really touched me. Each had a unique perspective and blessing and I just loved it. Some of the beads even came from Africa via Jennifer G's mom from BeadForLife - wow! It is a non-profit organization that teaches Ugandan woman to turn colorful recycled paper into beautiful beads! All the profits from the selling of the beads are invested in community development projects that generate income and help these woman escape extreme poverty. Here's a picture of some of the bead makers: Thank you again, Magda, Rocio, Nerissa, Jennifer G., Jennifer F. and Mirari!!!! This was such an amazing experience for me and I really appreciate and love everyone's sentiments and love shared.

Here's the outcome:It was an emotional and fun day and I will forever remember it!

No comments: